In the name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful
One of the etiquettes of seeking knowledge is NEVER to brag. Allah Almighty hates braggers. He stated in His Holy Book:
It is virtually impossible to stop bragging if your intention is incorrect. You should learn and study for the sake of gaining beneficial knowledge to be used for the sake of Allah Almighty eg. in Da’wah (preaching) to non-Muslims or just to show people Muslims can do it!
Motivation to stop bragging…
1) You would have been the stupidest person alive if not for Allah Almighty giving you you a dot of ink from his seas and oceans of knowledge. But even all the drops of water in all seven seas and five oceans could not contain Allah Almighty’s infinite knowledge. He is after all, Al-A’leem, The All Knowing. As He had said: Say, “If the sea were ink for [writing] the words of my Lord, the sea would be exhausted before the words of my Lord were exhausted, even if We brought the like of it as a supplement.” 18:109 and: And if whatever trees upon the earth were pens and the sea [was ink], replenished thereafter by seven [more] seas, the words of Allah would not be exhausted. Indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.” 31:27
2) There was this hadith I ever heard about that said something like above an aa’lim (learned man) is another aa’lim (learned man) and above him, is Al’A’leem (Allah) and also Allah Almighty said: …We raise in degree (s) whomever We decide; and above every (man) owning knowledge is One Who is Ever-Knowing. 12:76. How do we know that we are the most knowledgable person in the world? There is always someone smarter, but if somehow you confirmed that you are the smartest person in the whole world, there is still Someone smarter than you, that is, Allah Almighty.
3) Allah does not love the proud person.(He does not use hate, but rather don’t love as the latter has an even deeper meaning). How do you like being unloved by your Creator, Sustainer, your Beloved…Allah Almighty said:…surely Allah does not love him who is proud, boastful. 4:36
4) Allah promises great punishment for whoever owns an atom’s weight of pride,that is, the eternal fire. There is a hadith of the Prophet PBUH ” ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud reported that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “No one who has an atom’s weight of pride in his heart will enter the Garden.” A man said, “And if the man likes his clothes to be good and his sandals to be good?” He said, “Allah is Beautiful and loves beauty. Pride means to renounce the truth and abase people.” [Muslim]
5) Also note that knowledge won’t stay in the heart of a bragger. The bragger too would not gain knowledge anytime soon, as they think they know everything that needs knowing and would not want to learn or ask for knowledge as they are too proud. “Those who dispute concerning the signs of Allah without an authority having come to them – great is hatred [of them] in the sight of Allah and in the sight of those who have believed. Thus does Allah seal over every heart [belonging to] an arrogant tyrant.” The Holy Quran, 40:35.
For more hadiths and verses on pride, you could visit http://www.sunnipath.com/library/Hadith/H0004P0072.aspx
What to do about a bragger?
Just know that sticks and stones will break my bones but words would never harm me. Just make dua for that person. Never be jealous, instead, be thankful that Allah Almighty has not given you the knowledge that person got as He knows you would fail His test by being arrogant and boastful. But if you received that knowledge, be careful never to brag and InsyaAllah, you will pass His test with flying colours!
The Huruf Al-Muqatta’at are the broken letters in the Quran that no one knows its meaning. This is a Divine Proof straight from Allah to show that He indeed knows everything, even those that we can’t even begin to comprehend.
This topic is a long and extensive topic but as my knowledge is very limited, I will end here.
May Allah Almighty bestow our hearts with the right intentions when studying and further us from the evils of pride an arrogance, the two things that banished Syaithaan from Jannah and got him the curse of Allah Ta’aalaa…