Bismillah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem
You may be wondering where my previous post went. I took it down as, well, it wasn’t well thought off as I wrote it in a hurry. So inshaAllah, I’ll replace it with this post.
In that previous post, I posted a translation of a song “antara mata dan hati” (Between the eyes and the heart) The lyrics really touched my heart. It talks about simple we do daily(or things we do that we never really noticed that is actually a sign of a blind heart.
Among the signs of a blind heart..
1) When seeing the wonderful Earth, one doesn’t feel the Greatness and Might of Allah
- How many times we walk out of the house everyday, or even look out of the window every morning, do we think of Allah? Looking at the beautiful sky so blue and the grass so green…What of the beauty of its Creator? Looking at the sky, this verse should come to mind– Allah Almighty says in His Holy Quran:
“He created the heavens without pillars that you see…” 31:10
“[And] who created seven heavens in layers. You do not see in the creation of the Most Merciful any inconsistency(fault). So return [your] vision [to the sky]; do you see any breaks? Then return [your] vision twice again. [Your] vision will return to you humbled while it is fatigued. And We have certainly beautified the nearest heaven with stars and have made [from] them what is thrown at the devils and have prepared for them the punishment of the Blaze. And for those who disbelieved in their Lord is the punishment of Hell, and wretched is the destination.”
- The word Kafaruu is used for the word ‘disbelieve’. A Kaafir disbelieves in Allah, meaning that he is ungrateful to Allah by not being grateful and aware to all His Signs. Allah mentions this fact right after He mentioned the greatness of the sky, meaning that if we don’t ponder upon its creation and be grateful to Allah, we could be in the danger of kufr(ungratefulness), wal’iyaatzu billah (protection is only from Allah)
2) When calamity befalls one, one forgets that oneself is a Slave
- Any idea what this means? Maybe one forgets that His Master is actually testing him and the only way to get out of that calamity is to turn to his Master in repentance, love and hope..
3) When given a blessing, one doesn’t feel anything
- How many times have we thanked Allah for all the things he have given us, like our sense of taste and sense of smell? There was this footballer or someone who works in the football line,a big-shot in Malaysia. He had cancer of the nose and so his nose had to be cut. He now has no nose. Imagine, having lost the ability to smell the fresh air, the aroma of sweet-smelling food, the sweet smell of flowers…imagine not having to do all of that..Allah has chosen us to have the sense of smell, and He is ever capable to take it away from us just by saying “be, and it became” 36:82,Quran Al-Kareem So every time we inhale, say, Alhamdulillah, All praises be to Allah:)
4) When Hell is mentioned, one doesn’t feel frightened
5) When Paradise is mentioned, one doesn’t feel its bliss
4&5–How many times have we read verses of the Quran depicting both Allah’s punishment and blessings in the Hereafter…and we still sin, we forget what we read as it did not sink into our hearts as our hearts are blind and coated with sins.
6) One feels proud of one’s sins
- It is the same for some students. They feel proud to have broken a school rule and will be considered cool for rebelling against the teachers. That student would not think to apologise to the teachers concerned. Similarly, humans who have sinned (even though some may not show it off) feel too proud to repent to Allah. They feel that they are not in need of repentance. Or they might put it off for later as they are too busy with the dunya.
How many times we’ve heard or even uttered this phrase: I am still young, I will repent later…
Thing is, how can we be sure that there’ll be a ‘later’?
Causes of a blind heart
It is simple. A person with a blind heart is tricked by his Nafs and Shaithaan who had promised to–
“[Iblis (Satan)] said: “O my Lord! Because you misled me, I shall indeed adorn the path of error for them (mankind) on the earth, and I shall mislead them all. Except, among them, Your chosen servants.” [ Allah ] said, “This is a path [of return] to Me [that is] straight. “For over My servants no authority shalt thou have, except such as put themselves in the wrong and follow thee.”” 15:39-42
What must we do in order to get rid of a blind heart?
Firstly, one must understanding that this is a very slow process. So, have patience. If initially you don’t feel anything, continue doing it again and again and make dua for Allah to help you in this. InshaAllah, you will eventually feel its effects and you would never regret being patient:)
One of the ways are:
Sins are like a black coating surrounding the heart, not allowing the light of the Truth to penetrate.
Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said, “Verily, when the believer commits a sin, a black spot appears upon his heart. If he repents and abandons the sin and seeks forgiveness, his heart will be polished; but if he increases in sin, the blackness increases. That is the covering which Allah has mentioned in his Book: Nay, but on their hearts is a covering because of what they have earned.” (83:14)
[Sunan ibn Majah, Book of Asceticism, Number 4244, Hasan]
Allah said in His Quran:
“Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.” 25:70
Conditions of repentance
“And those who, having done something to be ashamed of, or wronged their own souls, earnestly bring Allah to mind, and ask for forgiveness for their sins,- and who can forgive sins except Allah?- and are never obstinate in persisting knowingly in (the wrong) they have done.” 3:135
1) Remember Allah
2) Ask for forgiveness
- Be ashamed our one’s sins as Allah has given us everything we need, more even…so how can we still disobey Him?
3) Know that Allah Himself said that no one forgives sins but Him, so what are we waiting for?
- This is to sooth us, tell us that when nobody is there for us, He is there, ever waiting for us to repent. Before the above verse, came this verse : “Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Garden whose width is that (of the whole) of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous”-3:133
4) Don’t knowingly persist in the sin, out of stubborness or because one can’t control one’s nafs
Finally, always seek His help, make dua always, as nothing can happen without His will!
Difference between a blind heart and a blind eye…
With a blind eye, one can’t see the world.
With a blind heart, one can’t see the Truth
You can get this simple, short but meaningful song here(Malay):
If any of you wants the translation of the lyrics to English, don’t hesitate to ask:)
Hope Allah made you benefit from this contribution of mine to the Ummah:)